(cba:news) november stars, redux

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 23 14:21:48 EST 2006

Dear CBAers,

Despite my cheerleading for RX0354-16 a few days ago, I no longer think
it's a winner.  Berto's and Tom's data suggest that it's too hard (faint)
a target, and some other data lying around a corner suggested that it
might not be so unusual - except for the one circumstance of high space
velocity, which is not exactly up our alley.  So I'm hooting it off the
stage.

SDSS0407-06 remains a very good target, though, from all known
hemispheres.

Other supplements to the last announcement:

BW Scl, in the south, and HS2331+3905 are still very, very good targets,
if you can handle the faintness (about 16.7).  These bookended N/S stars
show a fascinating array of periods, including some not really seen in any
other CVs.  More details after I return from compulsory national eating
rituals...

Oh, and FS Aur!  Time to start up our annual (northern) campaign on this
star again.  Talk about rituals.  This one is easier at about 14.5-15.