(cba:news) Swift J0732.5-1331

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Feb 17 10:51:45 EST 2006

Hi Bernard and Tom et al.,

Don't give up on this star!  We've got lots more to learn about it.
I too was quite surprised when the light curve appeared so flat and
boring... but after popping it into a power-spectrum program, I saw that
there's actually a couple of stable and fast periodic signals in it: at
167.2 and 337.2 c/d.  These are *roughly* commensurate - but within
measurement error they're not, so I tentatively interpret them as
independent signals.

This in itself suggests an intermediate polar classification... but then
the light curve is so flat, that's awfully surprising for a CV (much less
so for a low-mass X-ray binary).  Anyway, please keep the faith - the
science reward will certainly be excellent, even though the light curves
look... well, embarrassing.