(cba:news) AH Pic signal

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 23 09:52:34 EST 2006

Dear CBAers,

Greg Bolt's two nights establish that a signal at 3.5 hours - most
likely orbital - exists in AH Pic.  It looks decently easy to track, and
bright enough at 14.2.  This would be a great target for intensive
southern coverage the next couple of weeks.  If you can, take the
integrations down to 30 s or so - there is some hint of fast periods in
this star.

As for what suppressed the periodicity in 2002 - who knows?!  Maybe the
signal is really a superhump... a few weeks of coverage should clarify this.

As for the north, we're still hanging on to Var Cam 06 = 0557+68.  Down
to 15.5 now, and soon will disappear from our radar screens... but get
it while the gettin's good!  76 minutes, impressively short.