(cba:news) stars for mid-august

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 17 05:08:35 EDT 2004

Dear CBAers,

Time for some target changes.  V2527 Oph is still on the target list
(oops), but has faded far below ready visibility.  V603 Aql has been
pretty good to us, sporting a positive superhump at 0.148 d, the longest
it has ever achieved.  I had hoped it would sport simultaneous positive
and negative superhumps, which I wanted to study.. but not to be.  It's a
good time to retire V603 for the year.

And a good time ro promote V1101 Aql as a prime (slightly) northern
target.  We did very well on this star last year, finding the orbital
period, a negative superhump, and the beat period between the two.  But we
got off to a late start - so let's rectify that this year.  I hope we can
get some NZ/AU/ZA coverage as well, as well as the northern observations
which are likely to be the main course.

Then there's V1315 Aql.  Thanks to Lew Cook and Bob Rea, this has been
well covered too - with a very well defined negative superhump.  But we'd
like another week or two to wrap it up.  And despite its dec (+12), it
would be great if we could get some South African/Australian coverage, to
increase the all-important longitude baseline.

Finally there's the THREE DQ Her stars in good position now: V1223 Sgr, FO
Aqr, AO Psc.  No observations yet this season for these old favorites.
We're trying to get a long baseline of pulse timings for a period study in
the next year or two.

A good month... many good new targets, and the Olympics too!