(cba:news) GO Com and V803 Cen

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Jun 5 10:39:34 EDT 2003

Dear CBAers,

A day ago Patrick Schmeer reported that GO Com jumped back into outburst,
and Major Tom found beautiful, freshly formed superhumps in the light
curve.  (Data attached)  So this is definitely the prime target for these
northern June evenings!  I imagine it'll stay decently bright for a coupla
weeks, enough time to get precise measures of Psh and Porb (assuming that
one of the "orbital sidebands" shows up.  Go Com go!

And just for symmetry, Rod Stubbings promptly reported V803 Cen back at
mag 12.6.  This *usually* means a supermax, although they are quite
short-lived in V803 Cen.  We have managed to cover a couple of supermaxima
in this helium star, though never so thoroughly as to yield the harvest of
information commonly available in the H-rich dwarf novae.  It's pretty
good seasonal timing... so this is now the prime southern evening target.
With V4743 Sgr and V1494 Aql the best follow-ons.