(cba:news) Helium stars for May nights

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed May 9 15:25:14 EDT 2001

Dear CBAers,                                              May 9, 2001.

Still lusting here in the Big Apple for data on CR Boo.  Dieter Husar
reports that it has gone into a low state at 16.5.  That plus the bright
moon may explain the paucity of CBA data over the last 10 days or so.
Many of you will strain to get decent signal-to-noise at this light level,
but there is so little coverage in the low state that your data are likely
to be quite useful even if it's pretty noisy.

It's also time to start our campaign on HP Lib.  This one is magnitude
13.5, and reasonably equatorial (-14 degress), so available to all.
Rated G, suitable for all audiences.  The period we're trying to track is
near 19 minutes, so keep the exposures short.

Fire away on both stars.  I'm just grading my final exam today, so my
correspondence and data analysis will suddenly become much more prompt!