(cba:news) outburst of YY Dra = DO Dra

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:09:27 EST 2000

Dear CBAers,

Patrick Schmeer and Chris Jones have caught good ol' YY Dra going into
eruption last night.  At mag 10.6-11, it should be plenty bright, and it
should be a prime target of borealite CBAers.  Sorry about the lousy
timing for a star at 11h 50m, but the dec of +72 degrees should be
reassuring.

We're interested in variations near the 4 hr orbital period, but also the
8.8 minute spin period (of the magnetic white dwarf).  Since the star
often has power at the first harmonic (i.e. 4.4 minutes), make sure your
observations are pretty rapid (every 1 minute would be OK, every 40 s
would be better).

Several past outbursts have been quite short, not lasting long enough for
us to get any appreciable amount of data.  Let's see what we can do this
time!

By the way, the PX And data is just now starting to come in.  A very nice
evening target!

    joe