(cba:news) [vsnet-alert 5142] 1H 1933+510 outburst (Bryja) (fwd)

Jonathan Kemp jk at cbastro.org
Fri Jul 28 19:31:10 EDT 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joe Patterson <jop at astro.columbia.edu>
Subject: (cba:news) [vsnet-alert 5142] 1H 1933+510 outburst (Bryja) (fwd)

Dear CBAers,

Snip, snip...

This looks interesting!  A strong X-ray emitting, DQ Her star candidate.
If you've got the chart, go for it!  V1494 Aql and several DQ Hers remain
the best objects del sur.

    joe

1H 1933+510 outburst (Bryja)

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:03:37 -0500
From: cob585f <cob585f at mail.smsu.edu>

To anyone interested:

I have found the "nova-like" CV 1H 1933+510 = Cyg2 in the Downes & Shara
catalogue (1987, PASP 105:127) to be more than three magnitudes high.
Clouds are coming in at my location, but I have been observing it since
5.85 UT (July 23, 2000). It's now 8.5 UT, and I have taken several CCD
images.

Downes & Shara list this star as "nova-like" which implies it's not a
dwarf nova. If this is correct the star is most likely a VY Scl star
that's been spending a lot of time in the low state. However, I think
it's likely a dwarf nova of some kind because of its photometric
behavior. I need to confess that because of a mis-ID on a finding chart
I failed to notice an earlier outburst that (luckily) I caught on the CCD
frame anyway in November 1999. The mistaken identification on the earlier
images was something I just discovered a month ago, but they all have
the correct star visible in the field. I have observed this star in
June 1999, November 1999 (outburst), and then on multiple occasions
from late May 2000 to the present. Except for the November 1999
outburst, the star has stayed fainter than 17th magnitude. Because
of the earlier outburst, I've been trying to observe it every chance
I get to see if the outburst repeats. Well, tonight it did! It's
again up at least three magnitudes, and there is no mistake about
which star it is this time.

I lack the equipment necessary to get good time resolution which would
help settle the question of what type of CV this star is. I'm posting
this in the hope that someone else can pick up the observations where
I'm about to leave them off. The orbital period of this star in listed
in a table in Warner's book at approximately 3.3 hours. Even if I could
get good time resolution, the clouds here are doing me in. I haven't
been able to observe continuously because of them and high humidity.

So I hope I can pass the baton to someone else who can follow up on
this.
-- Claia Bryja
Southwest Missouri

cob585f at mail.smsu.edu