(cba:news) RXJ0909, mostly

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Feb 13 11:00:48 EST 2000

Dear CBAers,

So far I haven't seen any actual data from this shiny new toy, but I know
that some of you are observing it.  Both Tonny and Stan report bad
weather, though.  Can anybody out there with *good* weather observe this
beast?  (RX J0909.8+1849, that is)  It's fading from outburst, and the
eclipse profile will certainly change as it falls down.  Impeccable choice
of target!

SW UMa went into a very bright outburst, as some of you know.  Definitely
a super.  It's very bright (10.6-11) so is a *great* choice for small
telescopes and beginning CCD observers.  I rate it a lower priority than
RX0909 for scopes that can reach the latter, but it's awfully good for the
smaller scopes.

Tak V85 = IY UMa, well that's off the menu at last.  Jonathan should have
our preliminary report up on the website in a few hours.

FS Aur, BY Cam, CN Ori, still our great friends.  Getting slightly
neglected with all that fireworks up there!