(cba:news) a new and enticing erupter

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 13 05:34:38 EST 1997

Dear CBAers,

Enclosed is the announcement of a probable eruption in a newly discovered
CV which seems likely to be a member of one of our clubs.  Jonathan got
a little photometry last week and found it near 15-16.  Now it's erupted
to 12.9, it appears.  So far the described behavior does not quite fit any
of the suggested classes (WZ Sge/DQ Her), but who knows, the night is
long and full of wonders.  The position is in the announcement below.
Fire at will!

joe

Outburst of RX J0757.0+6306

   H. Itoh (Tokyo, Japan) communicates that the cataclysmic variable
(possible SU UMa-type or DQ Her-type) RX J0757.0+6306 is undergoing an
outburst.  Recent observations:

  YYMMDD(UT)   mag  observer
  971202.672  <137  (T. Watanabe)
  971202.794  <146  (H. Itoh)
  971203.015  <155  (G. Poyner)
  971203.674  <135  (T. Watanabe)
  971204.530  <133  (T. Watanabe)
  971205.667  <142  (T. Watanabe)
  971205.860  <131  (H. Itoh)
  971212.866   129  (H. Itoh)

  The following information is from the vsnet-chat log.

(http://www.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/Mail/vsnet-chat/msg00662.html)

(http://www.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/Mail/vsnet-chat/msg00663.html)

(http://www.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/Mail/vsnet-chat/msg00664.html)
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:25:06 +0900 (JST)
> From: Taichi Kato <tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
> Subject: [vsnet-chat 664] RX J0757+6306 chart
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
>     I have put the finding chart of RX J0757+6306 kindly provided by
> Dr. Tovmassian on the VSNET WWW/ftp.  The JPEG file is at the URL:
>
> ftp://ftp.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/CVs/RXJ0757/rxj0757p63_fchart.jpg
>
>     Please monitor this object, and report your (either positive or negative)
> observations to vsnet-obs.
>
> Best regards,
> Taichi Kato

   Confirmation is most urgently requested; follow-up high-speed photometry
is also urgently requested.

Regards,
Taichi Kato