(cba:news) stars for March /April/May

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 24 10:37:02 EDT 2021

Hi CBAers,

here's a more complete list of stars for (northern) spring and
(southern) fall.  I mostly leave out IPs since our interest in them is
constant (but more casual... in that the interest is usually pulse
timings, rather than really lengthy coverage).

And for all stars, make allowance for the season (of course)!

Southern guys:

Southern ex-novae of high interest: IM Nor, V407 Lup, NR TrA.

Also Nova Sco 1437 (might or might not be that remnant... but a REALLY

                     interesting light curve).

WX Cen and V617 Sgr (eclipse timings; Josch will likely cover, so these
are lower prioroity).

V1223 Sgr.  The beat goes on.  A few runs might be enough.

NORTHERN GUYS.
AM CVn.  In 7-10 days, slack off to shorter runs.  The very long runs
are needed to define the timing of the ORBITAL signal, which is the big
prize.  The two superhumps are of bigger amplitude, and will be
well-defined even with shorter runs.

DQ Her. mainly for the 71-second signal.  If you have a cycle time of 25
seconds or less, you can time this signal (trust me), if you S/N is half
decent.  But you do need somewhat long runs (3 hrs).  Not too much worry
about airmass (within reason).

OV Boo.  For the eclipse.  19th mag.  Just a few more would be great.

V1974 Cyg.  A tad early in the season, but keep it in mind.  Another one
of these of 2 superhumps + orbit guys.

ALL HEMISPHERES.
hp lIB. We'd love to get an AM CVn- style campaign on this one,  Could
get close to round-the-world coverage.

CI Aql. Another recurrent nova.  Strangely absent from our observing
lists for years.  Early in season, but put it on your list for April-May.