(cba:news) V407 Lupi (Nova 2016), and eclipses

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Aug 12 06:34:07 EDT 2017

Hi CBAers,

This is a long shot, but I was fascinated by a recent ATel (10632)
reporting a period in the UV flux of this recent nova.  Still available
in the southern sky - can you see how bright it is, and what variability
it shows:

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=9594

and Koji's info-packed listing of novae:

https://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/Koji.Mukai/novae/novae.html

Some nice campaigns going on for WZ Sge and V1974 Cyg.  Now's a good
time to jump on these stars.

Anyone want to mention eclipse plans?  They've had a big role in my
life; after the first, I bought my first telescope the next day.  Which
was difficult, because in those days it was *illegal* to buy a telescope
on a Sunday ("blue laws").  Attached is the story I wrote the next day,
and another by Annie Dillard.  The last two USA eclipses.

joe p