(cba:news) and add HR Lyr to the mix, with gusto

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 25 06:03:12 EDT 2016

Dear CBAers,

The recent announcement of "HR Lyr gone faint" was awfully interesting
to me.  While faint excursions of CVs are not particularly rare, they're
(a) still mostly unexplained by theory, and (b) particularly rare and
mysterious for the remnants of recent novae.  HR Lyrae erupted in 1919,
the year of the Black Sox scandal - that's "recent" in the lives of
classical novae.

At mag 16-17, HR Lyrae is accessible to most CBAers.  So definitely add
it to the current menu!

The menu is getting crowded.  So among the stars newly added, let me
list the ones somewhat more likely to have a payoff soon (because we
have papers in preparation): V704 And, ES Cet, and V1974 Cyg.  That
doesn't count two others in an advanced state of preparation,  but which
were listed earlier: RX2133+51 and KIC 9406652, which Enrique will
advise on.

And of course AR Sco, the craziest CV to come down the pike in many
years.  I dunno what we'll do with that one, but it sure does put on a show!

joe p

p.s. I hope to see a bunch of you at the AAVSO meeting in November.