(cba:news) HT Cas in let's-hope-super outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Oct 24 16:50:43 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

Yes, I'd say so - and thanks for asking!  The rarity of the outbursts,
the deep eclipses, the brightness, the good timing of the season... it's
too much to ignore.  Fire away!

BTW, SCRATCH V1294 Tau (Tau 2) from the CBA target list.  John
Thorstensen has just verified Porb from radial-velocity observations.
 From this, all our candidate periods from the 2002 observations fall
into place.  We just can't improve on the 2002 findings, now that the
basic confirmation comes from an independent source.  (We found that
period too, but sandwiched between 2 others, which now declare
themselves to be the positive and negative superhump.  A groovy binary

HT Cas - an old friend.  I attach the first paper written on it, also
the place where the "QPO" and "DNO" terminology originated.  Some good
light curves in there.  Its CV nature was discovered by Howard Bond (as
usual!).

joe

Good for small scopes too, btw - as long as it stays bright.