(cba:news) UX UMa, and IGR J1955+00

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 16 15:55:23 EDT 2015

Dear CBAers,

Some homework on these two stars!

UX UMa. I've drafted up a paper, minus the interpretation stuff, and
with figures unlabelled and fragmentary (both attached), but I need some
help from you.

1. Author list.  Can you check table 1 and supply, if you know it, how
many nights/hours you contributed to this campaign.  Also, if possible
and if consistent with some approximation to uniformity, tell me how
you'd like your observatory/telescope described.  For actual authorship,
I've usually used the criterion "at least 5% of the data", but since
there are so many contributors, I might include everyone here.  For
completeness you might also send your postal address, and if you like
you can use your observatory name there, if you have one.

2. I was surprised, almost shocked, by the large-amplitude 3.7 day
signal.  UX UMa has been very thoroughly studied for 60 years by some
people (Walker, Krzeminski, Smak, etc.) who don't miss much.  They never
had data like this, but I don't think they could have missed an effect
this big.  Is the star unusually bright or faint this year?  It  would
be nice if we knew!  Retroactively is fine.  If you have observed the
star in this year's campaign, take some data exactly as you did and,
more or less simultaneously, take some time series with calibrated V.

3.  And if you're so inclined, take another two weeks of time series,
just to track this large-amplitude signal.

IGR J1955+00.  If you've observed this star, you know it's not like any
other star we've ever discussed.  The 81 minute orbital (?) variations
are huge, and the fast variations are huge and crazily fast.  We don't
have the aperture and time resolution to explore the latter point... but
the most likely interpretation at this point is that it's a radial
accretor (AM Her star) and we're seeing cyclotron radiation from the
accretion funnel.  That would imply an extremely red color for the
variation - much redder than any (plausible) thermal process could
manufacture.  We really need *simultaneous* time series in two colors -
V and I would be an OK choice, and R and I would also be a good pair.
The more strictly simultaneous, the better.  Maybe you can use cba-chat
to accomplish this: A does V, B does I, and we can thereby synthesize V-I.

Remarks on other stars tomorrow.

joe

(a)