(cba:news) V380 Oph (fwd)

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 9 15:09:28 EDT 2015

Yes, this seems to be a *fresh* fading - so in theory, it's now a bare
white dwarf and an orbiting M dwarf.  If the WD is hot (it should be),
then the reflection effect off the M dwarf should produce a sinusoidal
signal at Porb.  So the amplitude of the signal furnishes a bolometer
for the WD.  It's an experiment we rarely get to do, because the
accretion disk normally *shadows* the secondary from (most) WD light.

So it's a great target for time-series photometry.  Unfiltered is OK
(perhaps necessary), but something redder (R?) might be better.

joe