(cba:news) (cba:chat) Up and Running---AM CVn

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 12 06:30:16 EDT 2014

Hi Shawn and Jim, and dog-lovers everywhere...

You bet - it's the most prolific periodic-signal producer in captivity!
  My recollection is that we measured 22 periodic signals in our
Skillman et al. 1999 study.  At most, maybe 6 of them "are understood".

Now granted, some of the single (non-accreting) pulsating white dwarfs
have *hundreds* of periodic signals - mostly very close sidebands, only
resolvable with long time series (esp. by the Whole Earth Telescope).
But these are actual pulsations of the white dwarf, which has had more
than a billion years to get its pulsations organized.  AM CVn's signals
come from the accretion disk, which gas flows through on a timescale of
days-to-weeks.  So it wins by that yardstick.

A worthy competitor is V455 And (nee HS2331+3905) which has at least 10
signals, plus one complex at ~5 minutes, which may host dozens of
components if it could only be resolved.  We may try a campaign to
resolve it, one of these years.  The first paper ever written on this
star, by Araujo-Betancor in 2005, is now a classic.  Great star, great
research, excellent writing.  Helena is now polishing up our first paper
on this amazing star.

I've been mining CBA data every year to time AM CVn's orbital wave,
which is very weak at 0.0035 mag semi-amplitude.  We're now finally able
to see, with a baseline of 36 years (the last 21 from CBA), the period
change which can test the hypothesis that the star is powered by the
removal of angular momentum by gravitational waves.  It's a theory
universally assumed, but not yet tested.  That's the goal - but we need
a few more weeks of coverage to nail it down, or fail.

HP Lib is another important star of this type, which has received
surprisingly little attention.  Great target for April through June.

Well, if summer knocks out Shawn, we'll just have to settle for those
exquisite long light curves we've been seeing from Oregon in recent years.

joe