(cba:news) msp binaries, candidates, and others

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Mar 1 16:03:29 EST 2014

Dear CBAers,

There's a new class of interacting binaries in town.

About ten years ago a few papers were written about a peculiar star, a
CV-look-alike some of the time.  I attach the one written by Thorstensen
& Armstrong.  The star turns out to be also a gamma-ray source and
millisecond pulsar!

There are two other known stars of this type.  One is in M28, not
readily observable by earthbound telescopes.  The two that can be
observed are listed below.  They're usually in the range 17-18 mag - no
picnic - but very little is yet known about the magnitude variations of
this new type of compact binary.  Outbursts, low states, recurrence
periods... we're mostly ignorant concerning all these matters - that
we'd like to know, and that we might well find out.

In addition, there are two other stars that live in quite small Fermi
error circles, and that have spectra resembling CVs.  Are they CVs?  Are
they gamma-ray sources, or are they in Fermi error circles by accident?
  And are they millisecond pulsars?  We don't know any of the answers...
but we might learn plenty from studying the nightly light curves.

Since this subject is so new, we don't exactly know how to observe these
stars.  Fast, slow, once a night, long time series... who knows?
The CBA is in a pretty good position to explore this subject.

See what you can find out!  Their charts and positions are attached and
below.

Re other stars, we're finished with CP Puppis and V745 Sco.  AM CVn is
going well... and may it continue!  I'm hoping for more action on V406
Vir - and BK Lyn, too.

joe p