(cba:news) HZ Puppis and low-frequency signals

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Jan 18 09:31:45 EST 2014

Oh yes, I saw it, and was delighted to see that the aliasing situation
was somewhat clarified.  Muchas gracias, Gordon!  But my experience with
aliases is that they need to be absolutely shattered, not just resolved
with good statistical confidence.  In some cases with CVs, the *fifth*
best alias (from the published paper) turned out to be the correct
choice.  In one, the author estimated the likelihood (of the choice that
turned out to be correct) as <<0.001%.

I think there are two reasons for this:

(1) CV light curves are dominated by noise, not (usually) statistics.
Humans just never appreciate noise.  Including this human - that's why I
usually lose $$ at the race track.
(2) Orbital and precessional sidebands, periodic amplitude changes, and
differential extinction.  All produce, or at least can produce, slow
periodic wiggles in our light curves - on timescales not too different
from the famous aliasing bugaboo (~1 c/d).

These worries are even greater when >95% of the data are from one site.
Many sites, many nights... that's the winning formula, because then the
various non-statistical threats are not correlated.

To paraphrase Alexander Pope, in the world of low-frequency variations,
a little noise is a dangerous thing.

joe