(cba:news) southern novae and applicants

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 14 05:07:02 EST 2014

Yes, T Pyx doesn't seem to need a lot of attention now.  Gordon sent in
a beautiful run from Siding Spring, which in my mind clinched the main
points: the light curve has returned to its precise pre-eruption shape
and period (actually 0.01% longer).

V959 Mon is a very good one for attention.  Last year, Josch, Tom, and
Mark Wagner nailed down the period: near 7 hours.  But orbital light
curves (not periods, but light curve shapes) change rapidly over the
first few years - certainly as a result of the nova's evolution, and
possibly as a result of the white dwarf's declining
temperature/luminosity.  Thus the orbital wave's amplitude in energy
units *might* serve as a bolometer for the white-dwarf luminosity (which
is not directly observable, because it lies in the unobservable EUV).

HZ Pup really fascinated me, because the light curve and fast period
seem to be pretty much "standard issue" for intermediate polars... which
implies that accretion is likely channeled by white-dwarf magnetism
(assuming the signal is very stable, which it is, so far).  Thus it
could be a pretty good laboratory for how novae are affected by
magnetism.  In my opinion, only one other such star is known, V1500 Cyg.
  As some of you know, there's a lot of enthusiasm out there for
magnetic novae (led by Brad Schaefer and Marina Orio, and the full list
is long); but to me the evidence seems very weak, practically
nonexistent except for V1500 Cyg.  So I'm delighted to find (seemingly)
another... and it raises a host of interesting questions: what else does
the magnetism do, aside from steer accretion at quiescence? affect the
nova explosion itself? steer outflowing gas? and so on.  Our data can
only probe a few such questions, but it's absolutely critical to the
main question - how solid is the demonstration of that fast stable
signal which is thought to be the hallmark of magnetism?

I concur that continuous monitoring is the way to go, because the period
is fast (and flickering is even faster).  So among the Chile telescopes,
Arto's is the preferred setup.  But V959 Mon is quite a *good* target
for your telescope, Josch, because the light curve seems to have a
fairly smooth shape - not a lot of fast activity.  Thus 5-minute
sampling might be just fine.

AQ Men is not a known nova, but somewhat unique because it seems to have
an eclipse which comes and goes.  This might be due, e.g., to a
precessing disk which changes its orientation with respect to us on a
timescale of a few days (around 4).  Not proven, but pretty interesting.
Considering its dec, I hoped that it could be a great round-the-world
star.  Unfortunately, nearly all of the year's coverage *so far* comes
from Josch, and this is awkward because it's hard to evaluate the data
at lower time resolution without much fast photometry to compare it to.

So I earnestly hope for more AQ Men data from other longitudes... and am
agnostic about whether AQ Men or V959 Mon is the better choice for your
telescope, Josch.  I guess that makes me both greedy and indecisive.

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all.

joe