(cba:news) SDSS1146+67 and AM CVn

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 5 07:13:27 EST 2011

Dear CBAers,

See Enrique's note below about this new dwarf nova.  Great star for us
borealites!

It's also time to start up the AM CVn season again.  The 1992-2010 data
shows a small period decrease pretty clearly (inflection in the O-C),
but it's small enough that another season, or half season, is really
needed to mail it down.  Even though CanVen is slightly off season, you
can still get 5 hour runs on it... and we need *dense* coverage, in
order to separate the 1028 s signal from the contaminating and slightly
larger 1051 and 1011 s signals.

If you're in the USA and plan to observe AM CVn in the next 5 nights,
could you use cba-chat to tell us?  I have an observing run going at MDM
right now, and have observed the star for 2 nights - I'd like to turn to
fainter targets if possible (more suited to a 1.3 m telescope), but will
only do so if I'm pretty sure someone else is doing it.

joe