(cba:news) (cba:chat) V2069 Cyg/RX2123+42 - season over?

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Nov 28 15:53:39 EST 2010

Hi Tom et al.,

Yes, it's time to pull the plug on V2069 Cyg.  And I think on HT Cas as
well (though I'm still studying that data, and might change my mind in a
few days).  For an evening target, I strongly recommend XSS0056+4548,
and I recommend it in BLUE or INFRARED light.  The star has two periods
of about equal strength (0.03 mag), at 465 and 488 s.  It is *likely*
that these signals have greatly different colors - and to test this, I
recommend obtaining time series in B or I light (your choice).  Our past
coverage in unfiltered ("pink") light is effectively about 6000 A - so
either B or I light would give us some lever-arm on the color
dependence.  We would like to go for 2-3 more weeks on this star until
completing the season.  This paper is mostly finished, and just awaits
that one result - a measure of the wavelength dependence of those two
ocillations.

In the morning sky, I recommend picking up RX0704+26 ("Gem") again, now
that we are nearing mid-season.  This paper is being refereed now, so in
2-3 weeks we'll add in the new timings and send off the revision.
Remember: it's a 480 s pulsation, and most of the power is at 240 s, so
you'll need a cycle time of *not more than 60 s* to see the signal
satisfactorily.  It's a 16th mag star, and you might think that's a
stretch - but this is a VERY strong signal and really not difficult.

Time to end the campaign on V709 Cas too.

Finally, let's get going on Swift 0732.5-1331 (see Koji Mukai's website
on intermediate polars for full information on this guy).  Exact
position 07 32 37.64  -13 31 09; this is the NE star of a pair separated
by 2" - it's fine if you include both stars.  The photometry's terrible,
but the periodic signals jump right out!  (But a B filter might help.)

Joe