(cba:news) CR Boo and ASAS J1536-0839

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue May 4 03:55:33 EDT 2010

Dear CBAers,

I've heard now from Enrique de Miguel Agostino and John Thorstensen
regarding these stars.  ASAS 1536 ("Lib") is about 18.4, and unless
you're distinctly enamored of working on such faint stars (some people
are), I'd advise you to take that one off the list.

    On the other hand, Enrique estimates "fainter than 17.0" for CR Boo
- and for us, that really vaults the star in priority.  We've observed
CR Boo for hundreds of nights, and only found it faint (~17.5) once...
and when we did, it showed a really strange spectrum.  I've been craving
for this opportunity since 1996.  Also, give the star now a high
priority after it leaves the low state (sadly, that'll probably be quite
soon); exactly how the star enters and leaves the low state - relative
to its normal state of rapid cycling, for example - is unknown.  Because
past observations suggest a cycling quasiperiod around 19 hours, the
star will GREATLY repay multi-longitude observation.  With an equatorial
location and the star now transiting near local midnight, this is likely
to be a great observing opportunity.

    17.5 might well be too ambitious, and if so, have a high old time
with HP Lib - a close relative, quite bright, and pretty interesting
too.  But we'd sure love to indulge this craving for CR Boo in quiescence!

joe

John, I know yer out there with a spectrograph and a big telescope...
and it's near local midnight.  And reading email at this exact moment. I
fling down the gauntlet.