(cba:news) cba august targets del norte, mainly

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Aug 15 05:04:32 EDT 2010

Dear CBAers,

Lots of great data coming in this month!  WZ Sge, Cep 1, and FO Aqr are
getting really good coverage, for which I'm grateful.  Bill Goff has
apparently got that cloudless CA weather machine going.  I had forgotten
to mention V592 Her last message, which maybe is why our campaign on
that star is a little weaker - plenty enough to keep cycle count (the
most critical thing) but not yet enough to parse fine structure in the
superhumps - which could reveal the elusive Porb.  So it's worth saying:
V592 Her continues to be a fine and important target, as long as you can
still get good data on it.

On the other hand, Hercules is a fading enterprise... and it's quite
possible that patching together 3-hour runs, even a lot of them, may
prove insufficient.  Since long runs on (almost) any star are greatly
preferred, you might want to forget Hercules and concentrate on some
other excellent August targets.  It's kind of an all-in or all-out
situation... take yer pick.

The coverage on FO Aqr and AO Psc is superb, and we can suspend those
stars until roughly October.  Thanks to Tut and George for all those
great runs!  I'd love to see more and longer runs on WZ Sge and Cep 1...
and would like to revive OT2138+26 (the bright optical transient in
Pegasus during May 2010).  If the star is now at quiescence, that would
be great, since we've been waiting for that... and if it's still ravaged
by superhumps, well that would be mighty interesting too!

Partially due to XMM1151-62, I'm inspired to raise our effort on the
recent "old novae"... and that means V4743 Sgr and V1494 Aql.  Both of
these are faint, kind of hard to do, but they both contain - or recently
contained - strong supersoft X-ray sources which should endow their
light curves with nice periodic signals.  OK, maybe not that nice, with
the stars being so faint... but periodic signals nonetheless.  See if
you can get 'em when you get a break from Moon, clouds, and other
potential hazards.