(cba:news) OT_J055924.1-512522 (new object in Pic)]

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:37:20 EST 2008

Dear CBAers,

I guess you all read Berto's message today.  I had ignored this guy
since it seemed a touch too red, too faint (at quiescence), too
uncertain, too south.... But Berto's photometric wave changes that.
This is definitely a prime target for however long it stays visible in
our little telescopes.

On an unrelated note, I thought I'd mention three upcoming meetings
where CBAers will be in attendance. (1) the spring AAVSO meeting in
England; (2) the late-May SAS meeting in Big Bear lake, CA (discussed by
Jerry Foote); (3) the fall AAVSO meeting in Mass (I think); (4) the
January meeting in Hawaii.  I am definitely going to (4), and likely to
either (2) or (3).  We're not planning anything formal, but I'd like to
know who plans to attend any of these... and I'm sure other CBAers would
too.

joe