(cba:news) stars for mid-July

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Jul 15 09:20:25 EDT 2008

Dear CBAers,

Attached is a letter I got from a new CBAer, John Hodge.  This one means
a lot to me, because he's an alumnus of a summer camp I ran in the early
70s, Camp Uraniborg.  A lot of famous scientists came out of that camp
(Neil Tyson, Rick Binzel, Doug Welch, Steve Kawaler, Tullis Onstott,
Harriet Dinerstein, Peter Shearer, John Reinitz, among others), but so
far I've not had the thrill of having one in the CBA!  (Doug Welch is
borderline, I guess.)  Anyway I was really excited to hear of John's
success in peddling astronomy to his son, and his son's success... as
the attachment suggests.

The campaigns on GW Lib and VY Aqr are going well, thanks to the
Herculean efforts of Bob Rea, and the vigilance of Berto and Greg Bolt.
But we're really hurting at North (and South) American longitudes for
both of these stars!  Most of that is probably due to the atrocious
monsoon rains in the southwestern USA... but I hope that other observers
can pick up the slack.  We can easily break 24-hr aliases with the
ZA-NZ-AU coverage, but the big missing chunk (all the Atlantic and half
the Pacific) will hide the weaker satellite signals that are sometimes
the most interesting.  Anyway, we DEFINITELY want to stay on VY Aqr for
at least another month... and quite possibly more.  GW Lib is still a
great target, but we might call it quits by ~Aug 1.

Two new targets I want to promote are:

MN Dra (2023+64).  This seems to be roughly a SU UMa dwarf nova with a
60 day recurrence cycle (for long maxima)... but with oddities... and
the truth is, it's VERY POORLY STUDIED.  In view of the oddities it has
already shown, that's a serious oversight... and let's remedy that!
Admittedly faint (15.8-19.3), but definitely worth observing even with
photometry of lower accuracy and longer integration times than is our
norm.  Good for all borealites.

SDSS J2100+00.  See the PASP paper by Tramposch et al. 2005.  Also
slightly faint (16-19), and with a pretty similar story and likely to be
a rewarding target for several months of coverage.  There's a chart in
the PASP paper.

Plus renewed acquaintances with some old friends...

WZ Sge (2006+17).  The granddaddy of all the short-period guys.
Amazingly, we have never really done a campaign on WZ Sge - and let's do
one now!  At 15.3 it's a friendlier target... but you *definitely* have
to figure out what you're going do about the ugly contaminating star 11"
away.  (That's far enough that you can usually exclude it from the
photometry... but not if you have problems with image quality or
telescope drive.)

I'm heading off to Maine in a few hours.  More from there.

joe