(cba:news) V455 And, HV Aur, and fall AAVSO

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 20 06:37:37 EDT 2007

Dear CBAers,

Data continuing to pour in on V455 And.  With 8 hour runs from Europe
and North America, we could hardly ask for better coverage!

OK, technically we could. We've had an Asia/Pacific gap for northern
stars ever since Tom moved back to New Mexico (from Uzbekistan).  But
the Japanese receive data from Europe and North America, and have plenty
from Japan... so they'll manage to cover the daily gaps.  To the extent
that 15 hours/day is not enough, they'll get that base covered.  In
general, my experience is that aliasing issues disappear around 10
hours/day... so I'm mighty thrilled with our data right now!

And the attention to shorter timescales is also a plus, though perhaps
unfeasible after another 1-1.5 mag of fading.  I will try to beg a few
time series from generous astronomers at bigger telescopes here and there.

Everyone contributing to this campaign is welcome to have all the data,
and use for any purpose you like (except sending to terrorists).  We
don't now have any easy and proper way to do this, but you can try any
of the following:

1. Bug Jonathan to set up a proper system of access.

2. Bug Jonathan to let YOU set up a proper system of access.

3. Ask me or Jonathan to send you any not-too-huge subset of data
received (which you can identify by clicking on "recent" or "archive".

4. Ask me for all of it, in the form that I reduce it to: daily merged
files with mean (and trend if significant) removed.

Eventually we hope to figure out a way to deposit it with the AAVSO,
which will increase its usefulness further.  And speaking of that, I
hope a few of you will be at the AAVSO fall meeting in Cambridge. I
expect there'll be a rump session on our newly favorite dwarf nova!

Finally, two other CVs of high interest seem to have erupted: NSV 1485
and HV Aur.  Each would be a really fine target for time series
photometry.  Tonny, can you summarize again what you've learned about
NSV 1485 (and info for prospective observers)?  I've long regarded HV
Aur as a mystery star; eruptions are very rare and very sparsely covered
- it is high time to change that!  (Well, the latter, anyway.)

Happy observing!