(cba:news) kx aql in outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat May 26 09:25:55 EDT 2007

Dear CBAers,

Just back from Italy, and am working through the recent data.  The GW
Lib is really, really good; our coverage of this great event rivals that
of WZ Sge in 2001 - the gold standard in dwarf-nova eruption light
curves.  And the humps remain strong and informative, with rich harmonic
structure, despite the fading to about mag 15.0.  Try to keep the faith
a few more weeks!  The star is likely to fade now on a timescale of
months back to quiescence at 16.6, with a slowly declining superhump and
slowly returning white-dwarf pulsations.  But as for what it really will
do, well, no one knows; the only decent guideline is WZ Sge, just one
star, and GW Lib has the extra feature of the wd pulsations.

USA observers might hang in there too... we're getting great stuff from
Berto in South Africa and the power elite in NZ, but the
Atlantic+Pacific gap is a mighty big longitude gap to bridge!  Even a
2-hour run would be very useful.

Now along comes KX Aql, a rarely erupting DN which Jeremy Shears
reported in eruption and showing a light curve suggestive of the rising
branch of a supermax.  Still kinda early in the Aquila season (1933+14),
but this is an extremely high priority object if it's still bright (now
13.8) in two days' time.  There is no previous photometry of this star,
so everything is new.  Because of the long southern nights now, this
star should be decently observable from the south as well; and although
no one can get really long light curves, we could do mighty well with
vigorous data splicing.  So let's jump to action on this guy!

For the bright period coming up, I recommend Her=RX1643+34 as a good
object for small scopes or mediocre nights.

Whatever you find out about KX Aql, send right away to cba-chat,
cba-news, CVnet, vsnet, or all, or all you're inclined to.  The world
needs to know a lot more about this star.