(cba:news) U Gem in outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 16 11:32:55 EST 2007

Oooo... Jerry's data show that U Gem is still rising, and in fact very
fast.  So it may get a lot brighter in the next 1-2 days.  And here it
is transiting meridians at local midnight, with long winter nights
available.  This is a really splendid opportunity to launch that U Gem
campaign we've been waiting for!

Watch for saturation though.  If you observe without filters, you might
have to go to uncomfortably short integration times.  And if you do,
spend some time studying the performance of your camera shutter - in
particular, how repeatable are the integration times when delta-t is
very short?

I recommend V filter, if you got 'em.

U Gem in outburst shows very weak eclipses, sometimes almost invisible.
Historically, this is what tipped the world off that DN eruptions reside
in the disk proper, not in a gulp of mass transfer at the disk
periphery.  But it has never been really well constrained by a study
through the eruption cycle - just a few odd papers here and there which
reach somewhat weak/conflicting conclusions based on sparse data.  It's
up to us to do a really good job now!

I think this one might be good for the Australians too, BTW.  We have a
giant hole in our northern coverage from California (or Hawaii when Lew
is there) westward to Norway/Belgium, and it would be mighty nice to
plug it.  Not so unreasonable at that dec!