(cba:news) Re: (cba:chat) FS Aur outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 24 06:16:43 EST 2006

Whoa!  This is great news.  Let me refresh everyone on FS Aur, the star
that has *completely* defied efforts to understand.  The radial-velocity
period is 0.059 days, and we generally assume P(vrad) = Porb.  CVs of
that Porb are decently understood - nearly all are SU UMa stars, with
superoutbursts, superhumps, etc... we all know the drill.  But FS Aur
certainly has no superoutbursts or superhumps - just these rare and
brief outbursts which don't fit into any known scheme for understanding
eruptions.  None have ever been followed well with time-series
photometry (though I think Tom Krajci covered one decently from one
longitude).  The other mystery - the biggest one I guess - is that
there's a large-amplitude signal at 0.142 d in the light curve...
unrelated to everything else about the star, but obviously of deep
significance (because the amplitude is very large).

So let's follow it into its latest adventure.  BTW I have a draft of a
paper on FS Aur - collaboration with the AAVSO - which is almost done
and just waiting for the sky to settle down a bit!

joe