(cba:news) november stars

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 21 23:00:27 EST 2006

Dear CBAers,

I attach a short semi-popular paper I just finished on the new variable in
Cassiopeia (Var Cas 06, as it is currently known).  It was a big CBA
effort, with contributions from Arto Oksanen, Pierre de Ponthiere, David
Boyd, Dave Messier, Donn Starkey, and Carole Haswell (along with several
students from the Open University)... but the principal data (certainly in
the CBA, and I think in the world also) were from Tom Krajci and Bob Koff.
Their precise data on the very first night after the announcement was the
critical element in certifying the microlens fit.

So... you can read about it.  I'm pretty sure it's the first such event
in history: a high-magnification event for a nearby star.  I'll put up the
figures on the website in a couple days.

Time for new favorite stars!  I've been waiting for November, to promote
two fascinating stars now transiting near local midnight.  RX0354-16 is a
strange novalike variable with an enormous proper motion... a very
tempting target, as it is likely to teach us something new about the
local population of CVs.  Porb is still unknown, and there is some
indication it might be as low as 40 minutes.  The magnitude is listed as
16.0-18.4 ("Eri" in the Downes et al. catalog), although actual dwarf-nova
eruptions are probably not present.  A great southern - and marginally
equatorial - object if you can handle the faintness!

Likewise for SDSS0407-06, also "Eri" in Downes et al.  Alon Retter and
Alex Liu wrote a nice paper on this star last year.  Our coverage verified
the many periods they found, and I expect this star to be so rich in
periodic content that it will be a prime target for two months or more.
Stated as 15-17, and probably a dwarf nova.  Good target regardless of
brightness.

There's a new eruptive object in Leo, too,and Tom's photometry suggests an
80 minute period.  I'm going to wait another day or two before signing on
to this one, though.

Northern-only targets.  RX0636+35 ("Aur") is a shiny new DQ Her
star, about 15.8 and a likely collection of strict periods.  Very nice
target, and new to us.  Also an old friend: V405 Aur, another DQ Her star
and a great target for lousy conditions.

Most of the other targets from last month can be retired.  Exceptions are
certainly AO Psc and FO Aqr: 1-3 hour observations of these stars in the
evening sky continue to be quite useful.

Happy observing!  Please let me, and all of us, know what you find in
these various new targets...

joe