(cba:news) QU Carinae!

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 19 08:44:06 EST 2005

Dear CBAers,

Our southern operatives are going strong, with good coverage on AH Men and
WX Pyx.  But the Moon's getting a little bright, and a recent literature
review has persuaded me that we've been unfairly neglecting an important
bright CV in the nether regions.  Namely, QU Car.  At V=11.3 and -68
degrees, this is really a good target for the CBA - and it's in a tiny
class of star that we have made a specialty of: the supersoft binaries in
the Galaxy.  For the next ten days at least, let's campaign hard on QU
Car!

CBAers in boreal regions have been much more quiet recently.  That's
understandable - at least here it's been a very bad winter for both humans
and atmospheric transparency.  Target list unchanged.

By the by, I know that one CBAer (Jerry Foote) is going to the Big Bear
meeting (Society for Astronomical Sciences, nee IAPPP) in late May.
Anyone else?  I was somewhat thinking of going.  We used to have informal
CBA meetings at similar venues (AAS meeting, ASP meeting, etc.), and I'm
open to resuming that.  Any suggestions?

Going on a 3-day holiday in an hour.  Probably no email access during that
interval.  Unless I lose my mind, which is possible.