(cba:news) HT Cam outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:49:54 EST 2005

Dear CBAers,

I hate to pile on here... considering that V701 Tau and FS Aur are now
eruptive northern stars very deserving of coverage.  But an HT Cam
outburst is just too provocative to pass up.  HT Cam is a short-Porb star
that probably ought to show a genuine superoutburst eventually.  Only two
outbursts have been observed so far, and they were extremely brief -
though of considerable interest anyway because of the 8 minute rotation
clock in the system.  (So watching the effect of the outburst on the
periodic signal is pretty fascinating).  If a long outburst develops,
then... all hail HT Cam!  But I think it's necessary to jump now anyway,
even though the outburst will probably be brief.  Maybe a good target
after V701 Tau... and maybe all night long.

Lotta action in the northern sky these nights!

joe

Here's the announcement.  I don't know Maehara, but he's a
*very* experienced variable-star observer.