(cba:news) erupting stars

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun May 16 22:01:15 EDT 2004

More stuff poppin' off up there...

Patrick Woudt writes that "Hya" (the one at 0905-05, sometimes called SN
2003aw) is in outburst at 15th magntide. This is a terribly interesting
object, perhaps the first superoutburst ever observed in it.  Pretty lousy
placement in the sky, but if we can patch together some observations from
several longitudes, we can decipher the period structure.

BR Lupi is also in superoutburst, and is an excellent target for long
coverage by southern observers.

Finally, please give V380 Oph an earnest effort.  This seems to be a
fascinating novalike with a complex period structure - bright, equatorial,
well-placed in the sky.  Got it all!