(cba:news) stars for late april

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 21 13:05:55 EDT 2004

Dear CBAers,

Bill Allen's coverage of V803 Cen last night showed a most remarkable
thing - the apparent beginning of another superoutburst, after just a 20
day wait (compared to the usual 80-90).  Big superhumps popped up once
again.  Our coverage over the last 20 days has been just sensational, with
long and excellent runs by Berto, Jennie, Bob Rea, Bill Allen, Greg Bolt,
and Tom Richards.  So it's a complete accounting of SO->SO, something
we've never really had before.  But why stop now?  The star is still
beautifully placed and plenty bright.  Fire all available (Southern)
weaponry!

In the north, DW UMa should retire (too late in season), and AM CVn should
get all-night coverage.  The 1011 s signal (negative superhump) is now as
strong as it has ever been, and this offers the best opportunity to study
it throughly over a long time baseline (couple of months).

Those are the big ones.  I'll write again next week after I return from a
spot of travelling.