(cba:news) I take it all back...

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Mar 1 11:59:34 EST 2003

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.

I spent a few hours studying the results on UMa7 and EC1056-29.  We only
have ~5 nights for each star, and most of the runs are fairly short (<4
hours).  But in both stars there's some evidence of periodic signals near
3 hours.  The evidence is assuredly weak, but since both stars don't go in
much for flickering, the sensitivity of the period search will grow and
grow as the baseline improves.  We've done very well on period searches in
such stars - the likely "VY Scl" and/or "SW Sex" stars.

Soooooo... I think I called off the dogs too soon.  Let 'em loose!  Both
stars transit near local midnight and have friendly declinations.  Plus
the southern star is slightly accessible for USA longitudes, which
enables (in principle) nearly continuous coverage.  If we can accumulate
some *densely* spaced (long, and overlapping) observations spanning about
a week, we can nail these babies down.

Hence let's revise that list:

NORTHERN - priority: UMa7, HQ Mon
           other: FS Aur, DW Cnc

SOUTHERN - priority: HQ Mon, EC1056-2902
           other: EC11588-3142