(cba:news) The Battle of the UMas

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 4 11:31:06 EDT 2000

Dear CBAers,

Well I've looked at a fair amount of data now on the UMa X-ray transient -
from Cap'n Bob and Lew Cook - and it's easy to see that it'll pay off.
Very nice periodicity at 0.171 or 0.206 d.  But I do think that *right
now*, BC UMa is the higher priority, because its outbursts are so rare,
and its value of epsilon [(Psh-Porb)/Porb] is likely to be very
interesting (read small).  Brian Martin got a first run which showed the
superhumps, now we need to know the period!  Give BC UMa the ol' college
try, and UMA X will be waiting patiently and forgivingly for you
afterwards.