    Re: high speed photometry, long runs, and CCDSoft

    From: Joe Patterson <jop_at_astro.columbia.edu>
    Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:24:46 -0400
    Tom Krajci wrote:
    > I have a problem when I take short exposures with CCDSoft.  I can only tell
    > it to take 1000 images.  With a cycle time of 12-13 seconds...that means I
    > need to restart the operation within about 3 - 4 hours.  Makes it tough to
    > get a full night's sleep.
    >
    > One person made a script for me where I can specify a large number of images
    > in the iteration loop...but for some reason, it defaults to 1 minute
    > exposures...nothing shorter...even though exposure time is not specified in
    > the script (?!?)
    >
    > How have other folks gotten around this problem with CCDSoft?

    I dunno the answer to Tom's question.  However, 3-4 hours is enough to
    give a quite sensitive detection - assuming there's a signal to be had -
    for these high frequencies.  Thus, a reasonable observing strategy is to
    do the fast sampling say one night a week (and lose a little sleep that
    night), and spend the rest of the time with some more judicious choice
    that will let you sleep.

    When the fast signals reappear, then it's different - then we need some
    long adjacent nights with fast sampling (and excellent timekeeping of
    course) to determine the new period, etc.  My quick analysis suggests
    they haven't reappeared yet.

    joe