    stars for early May

    From: Joe Patterson <jop_at_astro.columbia.edu>
    Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:59:30 -0400 (EDT)
    Dear CBAers,

    Now it's time to get the CR Boo campaign in high gear.  It's accessible to
    all hemispheres, most of the night, and presents some of the most
    interesting light curves in CV captivity.  We hope to cover the star
    through a full bright-faint cycle, which is probably near 50 days.

    We have two other northern targets.  LX Ser is an eclipsing well-placed
    star which we have observed on one previous occasion - finding no
    superhumps (although the orbital period is suggestive of superhumps). We
    should definitely try again - in the usual manner of very long time
    series.

    The other is RX1643+34 - "Her" in the Downes et al. catalog.  This one
    we've also done, and have found superhumps.  Tracking them over a long
    baseline should be very interesting.  But of even greater interest are the
    20 minute quasi-periodic oscillations - the strongest and most coherent of
    all the QPOs seen in CVs.  RX1643 is not quite in prime season yet, but
    some early May nibbles on it would be welcome.

    In the south, it's V504 Cen, as well as CR Boo which should be mighty
    accessible at +8 degrees.

    BTW, I've decided to go to the Big Bear IAPPP meeting.  With golf clubs
    too.  Hope to see some of you out there!

    joe